Is email dead? Well, in short…no. Email is still very much alive and kicking.
In fact there are over 2.5 billion email users worldwide making it, not only alive, but also extremely relevant in the world of digital marketing. To quote Paul Buchheit, a founder of FriendFeed: “Email is not going to disappear. Possibly ever. Until the robots kill us all.”
Using email to grow your business
Sending out emails and newsletters with your news, upcoming events and special offers is one of the most effective tactics for creating awareness, acquiring new customers, and then retaining these customers for potential future business. In 2015 MarketingSherpa announced that 72% of consumers say that email is their preferred channel of communication with companies they do business with and 61% say they like to receive promotional emails weekly. On top of that, according to McKinsey & Company (2014) , email is almost 40 times better at acquiring new customers than Facebook and Twitter. In this case, the stats really do speak for themselves!
Ensuring your emails are actually opened (and read)
We are all guilty of ignoring and deleting emails that we don’t want to read. And who can blame us? We’re busy people! Emails need to grab your attention and make you want to read them. Here are a few tips for making sure that your emails are actually reaching your audience:
• Build a strong email list
• Be relevant and (if possible) segment your email list so that you can create more personalised emails for different audiences and encourage more conversions.
• Arouse curiosity original and compelling content such as blogs, photos and videos.
• Drive urgency by using words like ‘last chance’, ‘don’t miss out’ and ‘once in a lifetime’.
• Use attention-grabbing subject lines (approx. 35 characters)
• Make sure that your emails are mobile-friendly!
• DON’T go overboard with the personalisation, hide the unsubscribe link or send emails too frequently.
Now we know that this can all seem a little tedious, but that’s why we’re here to tell you that you are not alone! Here at WildWeb , we happen to be rather fond of creating and building fantastic newsletters for our clients. So, if you’re feeling like you might like a little help in this department, then drop us a line ! We’re always happy to chat.